Sunday, March 28, 2010

Travel Tip #9 PLAN. PLAN. PLAN.
Carefully plan trips with companions. That is the key to a successful trip, especially when you have interests that lead you in one direction and your companion has interests leading him or her in an entirely different direction. Nothing spoils a great vacation more than a squabble over where to go, how to get there, and how to “enjoy” the destination. I’ve traveled with friends, family, my spouse, and --- in the old days --- with schoolmates. The absolute freedom of hitting the road alone leaves every stop, every break, every side trip, and every destination absolutely a matter of one’s own preferences. Traveling with another party changes everything.

So, here are a few ideas for making the trip as wonderful as it can possibly be.

1) Take your companion’s interests into consideration. My husband loves antique stores, flea markets, junk stores, bicycle shops, theatre, concerts, parades, anything with a fish in it, and weird destinations. We MUST make it to the world’s largest ball of yarn --- or something like that! I love museums, historic sites, theatre, concerts, light hearted entertainment parks like Disney, great food, art, and scenic byways. Several years ago I went to our travel agent and explained my husband’s interests. Then I enumerated my loves. Finally, I gave him a budget and told him to plan the perfect trip. We ended up driving to Toronto where my husband and I parted early in the day. He went to some riverfront market destination. I went to a marvelous museum. Late in the afternoon, we met back at the hotel and went to dinner before traveling on to see Phantom of the Opera. Our hotel room was a first class suite at the top of the hotel where we overlooked the city skyline. Perfect. Win-win situation.

2) Strive for a win-win situation so that people enjoy the trip. When our daughter was little and going through a picky eating phase, she would eat only at McDonalds. On our trip to Disney World, we made a point of getting her meals first, and then we would go to another restaurant for seafood or steaks --- whatever.

On my recent trip to Florida, I planned my itinerary for the first half of the trip so that I did everything I wanted to do. My husband flew to Orlando where we
celebrated his birthday at Epcot and visited friends in central Florida. Then I told him to tell me which direction he wanted to go. I was ready to set the GPS and make hotel reservations according to his whims. I was pleasantly surprised when he announced at dinner one evening that he wanted to see the largest aquarium in the world --- in Atlanta. Cool.

Once we got to Atlanta, I wanted to see the Martin Luther King Historic Site and the Carter Presidential Library and Museum. Initially we planned for me to do separate sight seeing in the afternoon while he perused every exhibit at the aquarium. But once he saw his beluga whales, his hammerhead shark, and a host of other sea creatures swimming all around us in the underwater tunnel he was ready to leave, so we went to the historic sites together.

Then there was Stone Mountain. And Mount Airy, North Carolina (Mayberry). We paced ourselves carefully, but I gave him a lot of latitude for deciding where we would go, how much time we would spend there, and how many hours of driving we would do each day. The second half of the trip was his. The first half of the trip was mine.

3) Pack comfortable clothes and check the weather carefully. At one point it was
so chilly at Epcot’s Jose Feliciano Concert, my husband was nearly frozen to the
bleacher seat. I shooed him toward the closest gift shop to warm up. By the time I joined him, I insisted that he invest in a hooded sweatshirt. No need to be miserable.

4)Be considerate in the hotel room. Share the remote. Pack your favorite mystery
in the suitcase so you will be entertained while he watches his favorite show on TV.

5)Check frequently to see how your companion is doing. Is s/he tired, hungry,
anxious to take a side trip, disappointed by the agenda? Keep checking to
see what will make the trip comfortable and rewarding. Do not wait until nerves are frazzled and tempers flare. Whoa! Way too late for correcting the problem.

6)Speak up about your interests. A happy relationship is not a lose-win conciliation. In other words, never sacrifice your happiness for someone else’s pleasure. Find hotels, restaurants, sights, activities, and rest stops according to both people’s loves. It can be done. It is your trip too. If you hate to cook on a camping trip, volunteer to drive to Colonel Sanders’ and bring back a heaping pile of chicken in a bucket. (Make sure your companion likes chicken.)

7)Try to find a happy way to manage differences in sleeping patterns. On trips to Washington, DC, I often sleep “in.” My husband is an early riser. He heads out on the streets to visit with homeless people and offer them a meal. He always offers the homeless friendship and food. It is an endearing quality that never fails to impress me. He sees humanity where the masses see nothing.

I get to sleep late. He gets up and makes a beeline for another destination so my sleep is not disturbed. On other occasions, he gets up early, has breakfast in the hotel dining area and then he brings me juice, fruit, cereal, milk, and hot tea to our room. Aaah --- breakfast in bed. Win-win.

8)I love cross country trips. He likes to fly to one destination. So this year I drove ahead to Florida and he cruised into Orlando on Southwest --- yammering to some
inquisitive triplets about the joy they expected to experience at --- where else --- Disney World!

9)Don’t overdo it. Fatigue is a subtle spoiler of trips. Plan lots of breaks and plan on being flexible. Add a day or two to your itinerary so you can spend less time on the road if the old fatigue problem threatens to spoil the fun. An extra day or two also gives you the option of taking a side trip to a light house or a museum or an aquarium. Plan on having fun.

10)Plan a budget that will allow you to enjoy the trip. Clip hotel coupons from the
booklets provided at rest areas. When we got home, my husband made a point of
thanking me for managing the hotel stops with discounts, convenience, smoke free accommodations, and restaurant convenience. Take on an equal amount of responsibility so that one person is not being the “Super Woman” or “Super Traveler” while everybody else uses the hours for fun. Be clear about who is driving, how far each day’s drive will be, and who will manage route planning, hotels, meals, etc.

11)Keep a supply of food and water on hand in case growling tummies cannot wait
for the next stop twenty miles down the road. I carry a Ziploc bag filled with plastic spoons. A scoop of peanut butter (the jar fits marvelously in the drink container holder) will quash hunger on the spot. On the last trip I carried a loaf of whole grain bread. If I stopped for a burger, I transferred the meat from the white bread bun to the healthier bread. Carrying fruit is fine as long as you plan to eat it!!!! Nothing makes a car smell nastier than an over-ripe banana. THINK about what foods will stave off hunger, but not ruin the car interior “atmosphere.”

12)Allow time for rest room breaks, whether you need to stop or not. But make the
stops quick and get back on the road. I have to stop every two hours to stretch out and walk. But I only walk four or five minutes before hopping back in the van. Otherwise my back aches and my legs tighten from the strain of bouncing along the road. It is also a good idea to consider the risks of riding for a long time in a sitting position. Be sure to stretch legs, wiggle feet, and walk with a fair amount of frequency to ensure good circulation.

13)Audio books and music help with long trips. Just be careful not to be too
distracted by the narrated story. And if your companion does not enjoy your taste
in audio books, use the headphones! Don’t forget the headphones. USE HEADPHONES ONLY IF YOU ARE A PASSENGER --- NEVER IF YOU ARE A DRIVER. Behind the steering wheel, keep ALL your senses sharp and distraction free. No texting! No cell phones! No I-Phone ear buds. NO HEADPHONES. You want to get back home alive, right? Think. You cannot multi-task as well as you think.

14)Be patient with your companion. Be patient with yourself. My husband’s gum
chewing drives me nuts! But that is not HIS problem. It is MY problem. Why it
bugs me is a mystery. I just look out the window or take a nap when he drives down the road, chomping away. I have no business asking him not to chew gum.

15)Finally, thank each other for everyday courtesies. Remind him or her how much you love sharing the trip. Thank him for driving. Joke around and make laughter the heart of the experience. Always laugh – not AT the other person – but with him or her!!!!! Keep the days light and memorable. In other words, have a positive attitude by CHOICE! It’s contagious.

No comments:

Post a Comment